Sunday, January 15, 2006

Much Ado About Nothing

Sorry literary fans this is not a Shakespeare post.

I'm normally a big proponent of paying people for their work. I don't pirate video games, I buy the ones I want to play. I own hundreds of DVD's and I always buy the new CD's from artists I like, but this week, because of Sirius Canada and their fear of the CRTC I've been forced to download the Howard Stern show.

I'm being forced to steal something for which I'm begging to pay.

And after listening to 4 of the 5 episodes that have aired so far, I'm wondering what Sirius Canada is worried about. Yes the language has been much saltier than it had been on broadcast radio, but words like fuck, cunt and asshole aren't in and of themselves obscene without context. So far I haven't heard anything that any adult should find offensive unless they are an over the top right wing conservative religious wing nut, and if you are, why the fuck are you listening to the Howard Stern Show?

As for the show, it's been pretty good so far. The first episode was a little sketchy as they struggled through some technical glitches with their new studio, but since then it's been pretty solid. Star Trek's George Takei has served as announcer this week and has been the highlight of the show. Despite being the new guy on the show he has already developed a rapport with all the regulars and doesn't seem to have any problem keeping up with the adlibs. He had a 12-15 minute argument with an Arnold Schwarzenegger impersonator believing him to be the real governor of California that has become an instant classic.

Please Sirius Canada, grow a set and offer Howard 100 and Howard 101 to your Canadian subscribers. As soon as you do I will gladly purchase a receiver and sign up, until then no money for you.

If you haven't already signed the petition I urge you to do so. Even if you hate Stern, sign it if you consider yourself to be a fan of free speech and a free press.
When I spell checked this entry it wanted to replace CRTC with CROTCH :P

No comments: